PLC system (programmable logic control) is an advanced and smart approach in the IT world.
PLC stands for the programmable logic controller. PLC system is also famous as a programmable controller. It is a digital computer used at the industrial level. These systems are suitable for manufacturing processes. For instance; assembly lines, robotic devices, etc. it is capable of completing such activities that demand procedure default analysis, high reliability and efficiency, and convenient programming.
PLC system comes in a wide range. May it be a small and brief modular device of inputs and outputs in 10 or may it be a large and expansive modular device of inputs and outputs in 1000. The type described later can be gridded with other PLC systems.
Types of PLCs:
There are two primitive types of PLC system:
Composition and formation:
It is a technical controller based on a microprocessor. Its memory is programmable. Thus it is used to program guidance and various other functions. A PLC system consists of the following major parts with their chief functions:
- A CPU (central processing unit)
Its part is to decipher and interpret the input received, operate the control program as saved in memory, and then transfers the output signals.
Its main purpose is to convert AC voltage to DC voltage.
As the name states, this unit stores data from inputs received. Furthermore, the information about the programs to be executed is saved here.
Two types of interfaces are present.
- An input/output interface used to control the reception and sending of data.
- A communication interface used to transmit and seize data from a remote PLC system.
Modernized PLCs are programmed in a number of ways. From generally structured programs to specialized dialects. Currently, the PLC system complies with basically 2 textual programming languages stating:
- Structured text
- Instruction list
Moreover, they adhere to 3 graphical programming languages stating:
- Ladder diagram
- Functional block diagram
- Sequential functional charts
- The basic functions performed by a PLC system are as following:
- They imitate the programs of electromechanical relays.
- It processes the binary input signals into processing techniques output.
- It plants continuous and uninterrupted monitoring of different modules of a system.
- The features which make the PLC system more attractive and unique includes
- They can tolerate relentless conditions like dust, humidity, hotness, and coldness, etc.
- They display a PLC system with an extensive input/output connection to sensors.
- They afford to accept input from most simple types to most complex ones. For instance; limit switches to machine vision systems.
- They provide a variety of outputs comprising; electric motors, hydraulic cylinders, analog outputs, etc.